Welcome!
We are the Crescent Choir. Yay.
About Us
Choir Practices
Tuesday: 3pm to 6pm
Thursday: 3.30pm to 6.30pm
Sectionals aside from official practices are to be decided by the SLs.
Conductor
Mrs Lim
Teachers-In-Charge
Ms Jamie Seow & Mr Tan Yew Hock
Committee of 2010/2011
President
Valetta Teo
Vice Presidents
Lim Jia Hui (Administration) & Chua Rui Ting (Discipline)
Treasurer & Secretary
Lim Jia Hui
Librarians
Carmen Ho, Jamie Chua and Cheryl Tay
Quarter Mistresses
Daphne Ling, Lee Pei Pei and Yvonne Tan
Editors
Low Jo Ann and Andrea Ng
Section Leaders
Soprano One Section: Chua Rui Ting & Elaine Kartawibowo
Soprano Two Section: Gloria Chung & Lee Si Ning
Alto One Section: Grace Chong & Claudia Chong
Alto Two Section: Winny Chen & Grace Tang
Recent Updates
Friday, November 16, 2007
Hello choir. I am back.
For all who were told to come here and came, good job for following instructions. I've been missing for the past 2 practices, and I am sure many of you miss me very much. But don't think I do not know what has been happening in choir.
According to my inference from feedback from sources, the attendance was probably not so good for the last 2 practices. Well, let's not dwell on that. For the people who do not come and don't meet the mark, at the end of the day, they just don't get a chance to perform for the concert. It does not hurt me, and it will not hurt you. It is their problem and their choice. We do not need such black sheep in the choir to pull our performance down.
For those who were there for the practice this thursday (15/11), I am sure you all know what happened. Even if you do not have the processing ability to process what message Ms Tham was trying to give us and how serious the situation is, I trust that you at least have the basic common sense to understand what happened that day. If that incident did not impact you enough for you to realise the situation we are in now, then I shall help you to decipher the whole thing.
Let us refresh our memory - Ms Tham walked out on us.
How long has Ms Tham not done that? Do you think it's just the responsibility of the committee to make sure that such things don't happen? Do you think we can control everybody? Do you think it is so easy to control you?
What did Ms Tham tell all of you before she walked out? She said that she was unhappy about our discipline. Why was she so unhappy? Because when she was discussing the choir's progression with Laura, everyone behind who were supposed to be doing warm-ups were talking. Choir, ask yourself. Why do you not even have the basic discipline to andkeep quiet listen to instructions? You were told to do your own warm-ups, but how many of you were really listening and doing it seriously? I understand that you have not met your friends for a long time, and you want to catch up with them. But must you use the time in choir? Is it because you don't have other time? Think about it, there are breaks everywhere. We give you short toilet breaks and lunch breaks. And after choir, many of you go home together too. So why is it that you cannot use all these times to finish up whatever you want to say and insist on using the time in choir? Ms Tham does not come for free, you know? She is not obliged to stay with us forever. If she is really that unhappy, she can just leave us and throw us to Mr Tay. It wouldn't hurt her at all. She can take other schools which are asking for her to take their choir. It will not make too much of a difference to her income or anything. But why does she stay on? Because she appreciates us as a choir and she wants us to help us go to greater heights. But are we doing so? Are we doing our very best to help ourselves?
I remember this incident very very clearly. The very last time Ms Tham walked out on us before this, she told us that she felt like she was pushing a bus full of people up a hill alone. All the load was on her and the rest of us were not even helping or making an effort to help out. Although Ms Tham did not say this this time, I am sure that many of you can tell from her words that she is sick and tired of all these ill-disciplined sessions of choir. It is not easy to stand in front of a group and lead, let alone control them. Think about it, when we ask people to come out and sing in groups of 1 member per section, what are your immediate reactions? You feel fear, nervousness, and embarrassment; You retaliate. You are afraid that people do not listen to you and will laugh at you. You fear that you do not get respected when you are up there trying to get people's attention; You fear that people will judge you and you do not want to do it that much. But Ms Tham is also a human being. She can also feel all these emotions. When you do not respect her and listen when she speaks, how does she feel? She feels rejected and unhappy. It is the normal reaction of a human being. If you can understand why you do not want to go up to the front and be a solo, then why can't you understand how much courage it takes to stand up there to control and lead people? Why can't you understand how it feels like to be standing in front of a group and no one is respecting you or listening and just keep talking among themselves? I always strongly believe in this saying, "Do to others what you want others to do to you". Do you want to be so disrespectfully treated by others? If you do, then go ahead. I will ensure that you go through the greatest embarrassment in your life.
I know sometimes your friends distract you and try to get you into a conversation with them just because they are bored. But when this happens, push them away. Isolate them in a corner and make them feel like an idiot talking to themselves. This is not being cruel, it is merely teaching these selfish people how to spare a thought for others and respect people who want to listen. Control yourself; Do not be a sotong and let others control you.
I want you to think about this - How long more do we have before our concert? Exactly 1 more month. But what are we doing here? Slacking and enjoying life in choir. Stop cheating yourself. I know that it is the holidays and many of you do not like the idea of coming back for practices to prepare for concerts and performances and stuff. But think about it, if you do not do these then where do your CCA points come from? You mean they drop from the sky into your report book? Or you wake up one day and find that you got 20 CCA points? CCA points do not come this way. If you want something, you work hard for it. If you want your CCA points, then you better be willing to put in the effort and give your best in choir. Your attitude in choir simply shows how mature you are and what kind of person you will be in life. Do you push away all temptations when people try to talk to you or you go along with them and start a conversation? If it is the first, then I can assure you that you are a very mature person for being able to control and discipline yourself. But if it is the second one, then reflect on yourself. Isn't it time to grow up? You are already in secondary school. Say bye bye to the happy days in primary school. Your teachers are not going to babysit you all your life. If you do not want to work for something, don't think about getting something back.
After all that has been said above, I hope you now know what I am talking about. If you still do not, let's put it in even simpler words - The choir is dying away. To be a choir, we definitely need each and every one of you. But more importantly, we need your discipline and self-control. Are you going to continue to keep up such discipline or are you going to change and work hard to control yourself? As Ms Tham said, if you cannot discipline and control yourself to make yourself do your best in choir, then let's just cancel the concert; shut the whole CCA down! It doesn't matter anyway since the choir does not mean anything to you at all. Whether you joined choir for your CCA points or simply for passion, I dont care. All of you better learn to control yourself in choir, I will control you; If you do not discipline yourself, I will discipline you. Trust me, when that happens, you will not like it. Ask the sec 2s and 3s what Laura and I have made them do before. You will never ever want to do it.
Lastly, I want to congratulate you for reading this whole post up to here. You have done a great job in persevering to the end no matter how boring or naggy my speech was. This shows that you really do care about the choir. I hope you have learnt something from all that I have said and do something about yourself. Whether it changing yourself for the better and influencing others or let other selfish people influence you, is your choice. But at the end of the day, who will gain and who will lose? CCA is a depiction of life and the outside world. What you do here, you will do outside one day. Are you going to be that blur sotong and forever follow whatever others do to you in life or are you going to take charge of your life and change yourself, is up to you. It will not hurt me at all if you want to continue being blur. In fact, I will feel happier, because I have one less competition in my life. This is your life, you decide what you want to do.
PS: Just to make sure people have read this, this is the message to test you. Remember it, because if the next practice I ask you what the code is and you do not know, I will make sure you learn how to listen to instructions and remember how to for life.
The sheep took a cabbage and hid it under the shoe.
SCORES TO BE MEMORISED ALREADY:
- Hark the bells is singing
- Las Amarillas
- Let it shine
- Joshua fit the battle of Jericho
SCORES TO MEMORISE BY 4/12:
- ALL COMBINED PIECES
- El barquito
I better see an improvement in terms of attitude and performance next practice on Thursday (22/11) or be prepared for me to go on nagging and doing other weird stuff to you.
Melsyl
2:05 AM SINGING IS OUR PASSION ♥;